10 easy ways to reduce your waste at Sub17
Working together to achieve zero waste
We’re putting a huge emphasis on our determination to become a zero waste festival this year, and we’d love for you to do your bit too. That’s why we’ve collated this easy to-do list of actions for you to take onboard and to help us protect our beautiful heritage-listed festival grounds and the planet. We’ll be introducing a multitude of new environmental initiatives as well as pioneering a brand new closed loop recycling system this year, including new rules and guidelines that we kindly request you to follow. More info at the gate and around the site so keep your eyes peeled.
1. Bring a reusable drink bottle. All water coming from taps around our festival grounds has been treated and is very drinkable. So make sure to carry your reusable drink bottle with you whilst having fun in the sun to stay hydrated and avoid chowing through dozens of plastic water bottles during your stay. Great options here.
2. Bring a reusable coffee cup or mug. You can walk up to any food station on our festival grounds and ask vendors to pour your purchased beverage into your reusable cup. How easy is that?
3. Ditch single-use plastic cutlery and plates and choose reusable utensils instead. It’s much nicer eating with a proper knife and fork and you cut down on a huge amount of single-use plastic waste while you’re at it. When you order, simply ask to have your food or drink put into your container, that way you won’t have any disposable items to get rid of. Awesome reusable bamboo cutlery and can be ordered here.
4. Use reusable bags when doing your festival shopping. And ask for a cardboard box if you’ve forgotten to bring them, then recycle the box when you’re done with it (or make a cat house out of it). It doesn’t have to be a daggy reusable bag, perhaps go for a nice linen one that doubles as a dirty clothes bag. Give things multiple purposes!
5. Pre-plan your meals and bring them in reusable containers. And bring small reusable produce bags for small food items. Reusable packaging will keep your foods fresher too. With a little menu planning you can also avoid bringing a cooler box and using plastic bags of ice, so think ahead and avoid bringing food that needs to be refrigerated. Pack a mini chopping block & towel to avoid reaching for pre-packaged pre-chopped foods in single-use plastic. It is so handy to have a tiny little board to cut on and a dish towel ready to wipe everything clean when you’re done.
7. Get familiar with what will be provided at the festival and be critical of what you really need to take with you. The less you bring, the less you’ll need to deal with at the end. If you can’t avoid packaging, choose goods packaged in easily recycled material and make sure it ends up in the recycling bags provided on our festival grounds.
8. Keep your site clean and tidy as you go. Make sure cigarette butts and other difficult waste items go in the correct bin. Research shows that people are more likely to litter in an already littered location, so please lead by example.
9. Pack up and take it all home to be reused. Anything you leave behind is litter and that’s an offence and you will be reported if you get caught littering. If you really don’t want items like your tent anymore, give them to a charity or find someone who would like to use them.
10. Ditch your car and carpool or take the Subsonic Music Festival bus instead. Use our FB page to connect with other attendees and reduce the carbon footprint of your journey in and out of the festival. Use the train and catch the Bus from Broadmeadow train station to Subsonic Music Festival for just $40.